In Singapore, the Housing and Development Board (HDB) recognizes the importance of multi-generational living and has introduced the Three-Generation (3Gen) flats to cater to the needs of extended families. These spacious flats provide an ideal living environment for families who wish to live together under one roof. In this article, we delve into the features, benefits, and application process of HDB 3Gen flats, giving you a comprehensive guide to this unique housing option.
What is a 3Gen flat?
3Gen flats are specially designed HDB flats that accommodate multi-generational families living together. They provide larger living spaces and additional bedrooms to comfortably house grandparents, parents, and children. These flats typically have three to four bedrooms, with one master bedroom featuring an ensuite bathroom, offering both privacy and convenience for extended families.
Features of HDB 3Gen Flats
- Spacious layout: 3Gen flats offer a spacious layout with a larger living area, dining area, and bedrooms to accommodate extended families comfortably.
- Additional bedrooms: These flats come with three to four bedrooms, ensuring that each generation has its own private space.
- Ensuite bathroom: The master bedroom comes with an ensuite bathroom, providing added privacy and convenience for the older generation or the head of the household.
- Universal design features: 3Gen flats incorporate universal design features, such as wider doorways and ramps, to cater to the needs of elderly family members and ensure accessibility for all residents.
Where are the 3Gen flats in Singapore?
HDB 3Gen flats are typically located in non-mature estates across Singapore, such as Punggol, Sengkang, and Tampines. These flats are built during the Build-To-Order (BTO) exercises and are occasionally available during the Sale of Balance Flats (SBF) exercises. To find out about upcoming BTO launches or SBF exercises featuring 3Gen flats, keep an eye on the HDB website for the latest updates.
How much is a 3Gen HDB flat?
The price of a 3Gen HDB flat varies depending on factors such as location, size, and nearby amenities. Generally, 3Gen flats are priced higher than smaller flat types, like 3-room flats, due to their larger size and additional bedrooms. On average, a 3Gen flat in a non-mature estate can range from S$300,000 to S$450,000. It is essential to plan your budget accordingly and consider additional costs such as renovation and furnishings when purchasing a 3Gen flat.
Comparing 3Gen Flats to Other HDB Flat Types: What is the size of a 3-room flat?
A 3-room flat in Singapore typically has a floor area of around 60 to 65 square meters, which includes a living/dining area, two bedrooms, a kitchen, and one or two bathrooms. In comparison, 3Gen flats are significantly larger, with a floor area of approximately 115 to 120 square meters, including three to four bedrooms and additional living spaces.
What is the average 3 room flat in Singapore like?
The average 3-room flat in Singapore is designed to cater to smaller families, typically comprising a living/dining area, two bedrooms, a kitchen, and one or two bathrooms. These flats offer a cozy and compact living space, suitable for couples or small families who require fewer bedrooms and smaller living areas.
Is a 3 room flat small compared to a 3Gen flat?
Yes, a 3-room flat is considered small compared to a 3Gen flat. The 3-room flat is designed for smaller families, with a floor area of around 60 to 65 square meters, while a 3Gen flat has a floor area of approximately 115 to 120 square meters. The additional space in a 3Gen flat allows for more bedrooms and larger living areas, making it more suitable for extended families who require more room for their multi-generational living arrangement.
Benefits of HDB 3Gen Flats
- Fosters family bonding: Living together in a 3Gen flat encourages strong family ties and enables family members to support and care for one another.
- Convenience: The spacious layout and additional bedrooms provide added convenience and comfort for multi-generational families.
- Accessibility: The universal design features cater to the needs of elderly family members, ensuring a comfortable and accessible living environment.
- Financial benefits: Sharing a flat with multiple generations can help reduce household expenses and make it more affordable for young families to own a home.
To apply for a 3Gen flat, applicants must meet the following eligibility criteria:
- At least one of the applicants must be a Singapore Citizen, while the other applicants can be Singapore Citizens or Singapore Permanent Residents.
- The applicants must form a multi-generational family comprising at least one set of parents and a married child.
- All applicants must be first-time applicants or have not received more than one housing subsidy in the past.
- The total household income must not exceed the prevailing income ceiling for 3Gen flats.
The application process for 3Gen flats is similar to that of other HDB flat types. Interested applicants can apply for a flat during the Build-To-Order (BTO) or Sale of Balance Flats (SBF) exercises. Upon successful application, the applicants must complete the necessary documentation and financing arrangements before collecting the keys to their new flat.
Tips for Choosing the Right 3Gen Flat
- Consider the location: Choose a location that meets the needs of all family members, taking into account factors such as proximity to schools, workplaces, and amenities.
- Assess the layout: Ensure that the flat layout suits the needs and preferences of your family, providing ample space and privacy for all residents.
- Plan for future needs: Consider the long-term needs of your family members, such as the possibility of elderly family members requiring additional care or support in the future.
- Budget wisely: Factor in the cost of the flat, as well as additional expenses such as renovation and furnishings, when planning your budget.
HDB 3Gen flats offer an ideal solution for families who value multi-generational living, providing ample space and privacy for all family members. By understanding the features, benefits, and application process of 3Gen flats, as well as comparing them to other HDB flat types like 3-room flats, you can make an informed decision when choosing the right housing option for your family. Remember to consider factors such as location, layout, and budget when selecting the perfect 3Gen flat to suit your family’s needs and preferences.